Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Debrisana

The free-form winged piece is like a Calder Stabile, finally came to me. Bleaching a gar skull Glenn found, a vicious looking thing with many teeth. Smelly. D led The Dance Of The Docents today, explaining the abstract show. I walked with him through the show, before his presentation, reminding him of things he had said about the work. We call this The Calming Influence Of The Janitor. The other Art Professor we wanted involved, Lane, came to the museum, to see the abstract show, and to talk about the installation, he is engaged, wants to be involved, had some thoughtful insights, and we were on the same page, about what the Wrack Show could be. 100 second-graders screaming through, going to a free concert in the theater; a zoo, I feared for the building. It was like wading through a school of minnows. Swirling masses of them. Finally addressed the floor situation, I've let it go so long, attempted redress with my mop. D was turning into a man pretty good with a mop, before his rise in the ranks, never quite zen but certainly not a slouch; alas, will probably never mop again. I had a nice moment with the mop today: mopping the front entry and an attractive youngish couple came in, the large (6 foot by 6foot) red color-field painting is hanging there, and it really is just mostly red ( a way-subtle luminous thing happens when you look at it with patience), and the guy, in a nice way, says, -what the fuck is that?- and I explain color-field and show him the edge of the canvas, go get my flashlight and magnifying glass. I carry the magnifying glass, which is actually for my OED, in an Earth Shoe bag; when you buy Earth Shoes, inside the box, in two separate cloth bags, are the shoes, sort of like Crown Royal bags, they are always saved. There's a thesis here, "Things Saved In Cloth Bags", I leave it to someone else. I want another, better, magnifying glass for outdoors, and intend to treat myself soon, as an early xmas present, with one of those glasses with the extra bulge for additional magnification. There are times I look closely. There's an old microscope in the basement, case and all, and I think I'll take it home and clean it up, get some slides, look at small things for a while. This whole macroscopic world wears on you, maybe if I just sat and looked through a microscope I could gain a few pounds. Thinking about installing the show, marveling that we've assembled such a crew, that Kim will be here for a week, the ultimate problem solver, that Lane and Nick are on board, that B has cleared the decks, and D and I are good to go. This promises to be exciting. Lane was talking today, about going in with no preconceptions, and I knew exactly what he meant, and he knew I knew. Like that. D and I have a private language about the show. References. He came out while I was talking with Lane, talking about how whatever went in the pergola, it became a kind of shrine, where we had joked we should have the face of Jesus on a piece of wrack, or on many pieces of wrack, a holy place, and I said to D -the primary stick- and he knew what I meant. The base of the first stick we ever retrieved from the flood-plain, a monster weird thing, the primary stick. It could go there and the balls could flow around it. It will go somewhere, as will the balls, everything has a place. Let's not preconceive. You know me better than that. My book here is purely on the materials, not a thought toward theory, I rest my case on merely interesting. The Donut Defense, whatever you call it, "not of sound mind", too much sugar, the very idea that you could make a meal on pistachios, too many double-cheeseburgers. I will defend the footer, sauce, mustard and cheese, unto my deathbed, there are some things beyond doubt, perfect, in-and-of-themselves, that become iconic. Beware the posters, they usually lie, I'm more comfortable with simply heating water, I can tell what's what. Boiling at a given elevation.

No comments: