Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Leaf Litter

Mackletree becoming a leaf-littered path. Falling walnuts an increasing danger, where they fall on the road they can give a vehicle a mighty jolt. Remember to drive with both hands, no notes while driving. Caravaggio, 5/28/1605, arrested for carrying a sword without a license. Where does this stuff come from? Left my coffee at home for the second straight day, set it down to pick up something else and forgot it both days. Today, I realize at the bottom of the hill, turn around, go back and get it. Could have constituted a habit, nip it in the bud, the return trip will remind in the future. Caravaggio, 5/29/1606, killed Tomassoni in a duel. He moved around a lot. So have I but I don't have a sword. An extra lunch, left over, at the museum, and Sara tells me to take it home, so I don't have to fix dinner. Nuke, read, eat. For reasons I don't remember, I spent a good while thinking about drawing ovals, the correct ovals, for where a circle would penetrate a plane surface at an angle. Various ways of doing it, acceptable degree of error, methods of cutting said ovals in really unnatural positions, how difficult it is to cut on the line with a SawzAll. Third or fourth worst accident I ever saw on a job-site, Rex, cutting an oval hole in a roof in Ouray, Colorado, through a metal roof and sheathing, slipped on a single drop of water, threw the saw away, and would have been ok, but had a curved-claw hammer in his gear. One always uses a straight-claw hammer on the roof, and if you start to slip, you do the carpenter roll and sink the claw in the roof. Rex did roll, and hit the deck below feet first, flexing and rolling, but still broke both heel bones. On The Various Ways Of Drawing Specific Ovals I have little to say, figure it out yourself. I worked with a guy once, who was so picky about drawing his lines, that he would take a carpenter's pencil, those fat things, and split it on the flat, right at the lead, use the lead side right against whatever he was tracing, then cut on the outside of the line to allow for slop. I, on the other hand, draw a multitude of ovals and cut amongst them. I'm pretty good at this but not really precise. The standards are different, 'good-enough' comes into play. Half-a-pencil width is close enough for me. I'm sure there's a formula for drawing these opals, ovals, but I don't really care. I only trust empiric because I don't do math, I mean, I do simple numbers well but I don't do equations anymore. Wrong side of my brain. Not true, really, because I have a talent there I don't want to talk about, it embarrasses me, but seems germane. I can count things really quickly. What seems to happen is I discern a pattern, do some simple multiplication, and count what's missing, not completely sure, but that seems to be what happens. Maybe the patterns are like musical notes, maybe what I perceive as patterns aren't at all, maybe it's just acorns on a shed roof, fucking walnuts, man. And the useless Buckeye. Pretty sure we're on the same page, D and I, walking through the Richard's Gallery, where the wrack will be installed, 90 seconds, maximum, and we both see the same thing: 'What Will Be In That Space' which we could both create any number of ways, in all honesty, working with anyone, is frightful, I'd rather alone. I do ok by myself, horrible with strangers, and not so good with neighbors. Learn your limitations. Hide your evil self away. You know what I mean, things the Deputy said to me in confidence. Exactly what is allowed? Admitted. Deposed. I don't know, I'm merely another leaf, nothing more, maybe stuck in the in-take. You and your filters. I loved those open-toed shoes, they seemed to carry a message, but I'm sure where I am, you, it. The conclusion I always reach, that you are an extension of me, what you hear.

No comments: