Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Signage

I mentioned B had said that if there were any words posted about the show that they should be from my writing, Sara agreed and has been rereading me, culling mention of wrack. I'm of two thoughts, one, that the show doesn't need any signage, and two, anything that helps the viewer is all to the good. Undecided. Have to wait and see what the show says without any overt saying. Maybe a stapled stack of postings on a pedestal outside one of the doors, to take home. "Some Notes On Wrack", "The Wrack Effect", "Objects From The River", "Drainage, Obsession, And The Debris-Field", "Some Sticks", "Below The Floodwall", "Theories Of Attachment". Something. D on the road today, taking the last show to Dayton, I fulfill some janitorial functions, change filters in the humidifiers and boost the relative humidity upwards from 25 to 35%, which is good, like to hold the winter at 42%. Gets dry fast when the boilers kick on. Talk about old tricks, I do so many things without thinking about them, found myself today sitting in a chair in the Richards Gallery, I must have carried the chair in, but I don't remember doing that. I know what was happening, since forever when confronted with a specific task in a specific place, my method involves staring at it for periods of time. I looked at where my stairs are for six months, they were complex, took a long time to wrap my brain around them, attachment was really an issue. The Saga Of Natural Edges, looking around myself, everything that can be is a natural edge. I prefer them, they're closer to the truth. Had the thought tonight that I wanted to build one more house, the house of my dreams, no straight edges, so I could write about it. Even if I didn't actually build it. I'm feeling a possible fiction here, I could just work it all out in my head, then write about it, and not have to do the physical thing. Avoid it altogether. On the other hand, it's good to stay active, and there's this unlimited pile of posts and beams at the boneyard for the veneer mill. It's so tempting I think I'll spring for the cost (a case of beer for the fork-lift guy, on a Saturday, and $100 for Booby to make the trip with his small log-truck) and get a load up here, the worst that could happen is that I'd burn them and there would be five of six cords. I'm thinking, though, that if I got a load of them, two or three would catch my interest, and I'd probably be engaged, thinking about attachment again, consider loading, run some numbers, realize I could do this in my spare time for free. I don't even speak for myself, but I could do this, either way. It might be better that it was never built, only imagined, but it might be better if I actually built it. I don't know, like with the signage, there are more questions than answers. Just realized I could frame this, in a gallery, in a way that would be spectacular, the actual thing. Passing interest, sure, I could do that. I'm already intrigued by these future things, what did you say your name was? Could we talk later? I'd like to build a house in the main gallery, an actual house. I think we could do this, I'd call in some favors, surprising how much I'm owed, I don't keep track, but evidently people feel they owe me. OK, fine, lets turn this into something. You thought I meant I thought I knew something about what was being said.

No comments: