Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The River

My drive in, I cross the Scioto just before it joins the Ohio. Icebergs. The Scioto is nearly solid, the east shore jammed with various sized floes. The Ohio flows freely but there is shore ice and at the mouth of the Scioto, the incoming ice swings a graceful curve against the north shore. It's very beautiful, the currents so clearly revealed. Below zero again and the lake is frozen, and there is an ice issue too, at the spillway. The napp (water over the spillway) needs to escape so right at the lake edge the water lifts the ice-cap, so it can release the pressure. When the ice freezes too deeply, it starts pushing ice blocks ashore, pictures show blocks the size of apartment houses when the Great Lakes freeze. I don't think water is the only element that expands both when it freezes and when it vaporizes, probably ammonia does, and some other things. I remember something about the moons of Jupiter. That Damn Brit was back today, full of vim and vinegar; Julia, a board member, came in, to pick up something, and he, Roger, had her laughing so hard we all stopped what we were doing to join in the fray. Work should be interesting, if you don't enjoy what you do, do something else. I was the King of patch and paint today. 4,000 square feet ready to hang, I pride myself on this, as good as you're likely to find. I also walk dogs. Not to draw too fine a point, but That Damn Brit, talking about British acting groups, mentioned a group, I forget their name, horribly incorrect, who were very funny. Life is like that, a sequence of scenes, make what you will. The overriding image is that curve the Scioto assumed, curling into the Ohio. There was a sound, a deep grinding, I can't reproduce it.

No comments: