Sunday, June 7, 2009

I'm Cool

First it was a Whip-poor-will. I'd flung the bedroom windows wide open for the cool early June air and this fucker flew into the red maple I'm tending as a specimen tree just outside. A young bird, testing his song, sounding awful; I shouted him away in the dark. Then that off-beat flutter that can only mean a bat and I grab my tennis racket, flip on the light, standing next to the bed, in my all-together. I look like someone awaiting a serve, but I'm naked and slightly drunk. The bat, sensing murderous intent, slips through a gap where I haven't trimmed. This is the way we start a day, so early in the morning. Briefly entertain the notion of a bunker, anything to get some sleep, but the natural world always wins. I need open windows, the smell and sound of what actually happens. Nothing makes any sense but certain scents calm me. I like the smell of old books, cardboard, sawdust, they anchor me. The rock cairn establishes order in a field of total disorder. What Goldsworthy does. Like a dream come true. How could broken rocks mean anything? What is meaning? My favorite smells activate memory in ways I can't control. I can be simply adding a anchovy fillet to a stir-fry and I'm suddenly in the boat, fly-fishing with my father, forty years ago. As real as can be. Crouched with my racket, I remember the first time I beat my coach. I'm on this, like ugly on a stick, but I still don't know what it means. Being able to do something is one thing, understanding what it means is another. You and your reality is one thing, mine is another.

No comments: