Saturday, June 6, 2009

Lacunae

Aristophanes: "Whirl is king." Stopped at the cairn, up close it is an amazing piece of work. Others have added adjacent things, nothing to the piece itself which would be a sacrilege, but upright stones in a kind of homage. Living on the East coast 35 years, one would occasionally encounter a truly incredible sand-castle. Just north of St. Augustine Florida, where the sand is a natural building material of great permanence, cochina, tiny shells, from just visible to maybe a quarter inch, the oldest town in America is built of it AND still stands, there would appear magnificent structures, above the usual tides, that must have involved entire design classes on vacation and resulted in a dozen of the worst sunburns on record. The nude beach at West Tisbury, on the Vineyard, was famous for impossible rock piles that could only be conceived by ingesting certain esoteric drugs from the rain forest. On Cape Cod, there was a place down Crow Pasture, a peninsula poking into the bay, where some of us built an ephemeral model of the Coliseum. But this rock pile is special, employing as it does two very strong elements, a sense of beauty and form, with a deep knowledge of how the load is carried. Artist and engineer. Tatlin. I knew there was an antique car show somewhere in Portsmouth today, and that there would be street closings, but I had to do my laundry, sockless in Gaza. Stopped at the library, but then all access to my Laundromat was blocked. Fuck a bunch of antique cars, it's a pain in the ass is what it is. Get a footer and some jalapeno poppers at the Dairy Bar and scoot right back home, unload another batch of firewood, 5, 6, I forget; figure I need 12 or 13 loads to survive next winter. Wood to burn is a defining characteristic of my life. I'm all over this, I don't want to worry, if I have the flu next winter, that I can't stay warm. Means I need a back-porch roof and ricks of drying hardwood out of the weather. I can still do that. Arrange some things. I remember you mentioned what we had talked about that had been forgotten. The nuance, thought about that and dismissed a great many things that might be remembered. We go back years, in this process, what I thought you meant.

Lacunae, what I thought I meant.

No comments: