Sunday, October 24, 2010

Emily, All Day

Did take a break to run to town, pick up some food, quick pint and stew at the pub. B came over for a nice chat, needed a piece of the flat, worked, quarry stone for the installation of his new stove. I explained my proposed move to town, that thirty years without a net might have been long enough, if I did get an apartment I'd have much more time to read and write, and that I'd probably live longer. The day of the flies. Happens every fall, some cool weather, then a warm day, and the flies are out. I kill dozens because their buzzing bothers me. B offered a small, very efficient fridge to replace my dying unit. I'll take him up on that, I really need a quiet fridge. I know I can filter outside noise, but inside noise is like a toothache, can't be denied. The drive back in today was spectacular, a golden thing. Skip Fox, one of the very best writers I read, has offered to send any of my readers copies of his last four books (these are books well worth having) for free, with free shipping, email him at skip@louisiana.edu and take advantage of this. He's amazing. I was reading a poem of his once, walking down the street, and walked right into a light-pole. Emily, and this feud about copyrights, long after she'd passed, is riveting. I had no idea. I've read her forever, since I was 18 and quite confused. She maintains, like those caves. Not much does. Most things flake off, like bad paint on a plaster wall. But I've been married to Emily for 34 years. I read her closely, living in a rented room on the Lower Road, in Brewster, Massachusetts, she changed my life. I couch my verbiage differently, but what the hay? I learned from a master. Say what you will. My Modified Chevron is a decent stroke, but I don't make sense, I'm looking into this. Meaning is mostly patterns, what you want is complete coverage. Mopping, I strive for full overlap, every square inch is swept twice. Language is a strange thing, sometimes it makes no sense, sounds correct, but the sound units collide and you don't understand a damned thing. Gold mine in the sky. The middle of the night. A red corvette.

No comments: