Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Intimisme --- Nabis

The domestication of impressionism. Bringing it inside. What Vuillard and Bonnard did. The intimate development of realism had its origin in the Nabis group, late nineteenth-century. Influenced by Gauguin's use of flat colors. Read another book about them last night. I really like some of the work. I now keep a dictionary of art terms on my desk at the museum; on a coffee break, I'll read a couple of definitions. The piano movers were in the alley, I was open early waiting for them, but they never knocked or called so I didn't know they were there. D saw them when he came in. Five guys from Luther's Moving And Storage, and their truck wedged sideways in the alley, so they can slide a ramp into the loading door. They have a system, this is not the first baby grand piano they've ever moved, but they're not as good as the guys in Boston (they were the best I ever saw), or even the guys in Tallahassee Florida who were stone cold tokers. When I think back on it, I've been around a lot of pianos being moved. I'm always paranoid, because they've both heavy and delicate. but I've always been interested in the concept of moving heavy things. I've moved a great many printing presses; sometimes buildings, with printing presses and paper cutters inside them. I wouldn't do it any more, my reflexes aren't fast enough. Baby Grands, and Grands, are so awkward to move, they ship on edge, legless, with the wide part of the sounding board down, strapped on very strong dollies. The guys get it done, but mostly because they're very strong country boys. One of them is smart enough to see that the load has to be carried cleanly down to the wheels. And they keep it balanced on the ramp, which is the really scary part, and get it into the truck. I'm done with it, it's not my responsibility, they have their own insurance, the shippers; the church, where the piano is going, have their insurance. My responsibility ended a long time ago. I just wanted to see how they'd do it, I had my own ideas. Loading a fucking piano, come on man, how would you have done it?

No comments: