Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Wind

A howling in the trees, snapping branches sound like gunshots; the house, in winds like these, creaks and sways just a bit. Three crows acting like drunken pilots. Pegi starts vacation tomorrow, so we might get started on some repair and painting in her office, and, sensing a rather busy schedule for the next few weeks, I left early. Stopped at Ohio Builders Surplus and exchanged the staples. Then on a slow trip in the back way, looked closely, through the now barren trees, at the actual land formations. Exposed sandstone with seeping springlets that will be frozen soon enough. The creek was running full and the dozens of small waterfalls were beautiful in the slanted light. Need to make a list of supplies I'll need for the long weekend. An extra bottle of booze, I've got plenty of tobacco but I need extra cigaret papers. For food, knowing the cookstove will be hot anyway, I'll roast some vegetables, and the Linda trick of roasting kale leaves into the greatest chips ever, and a pot roast. Got enough coffee, need half-and-half, a couple of Honeycrisp apples, a small piece of very good cheese, maybe an English cheddar. All of which will provide for several omelets, and I've got farm fresh eggs for that. If I could finish stage one of the insulation upgrade Saturday, it would make Sunday truly special. Everyone else is wrapped in their holiday protocol, everyone has an itinerary. I suppose I do too, I'll probably take a walk. Either field or make a couple of phone calls. I'll eat, and shit, and wash between my toes: have to get to the library and check out some escapist fiction. An alternate reality, in case I need to escape. I have a dish-pan, plastic, that I scored from a dumpster, that I use for soaking my feet, and I think I'll do that twice yearly session with my toenails sometime over the long weekend. Other than that, I don't have any plans.

Tom


It must be blowing a full gale, backlit, with lightning; pretty sure I'm going to lose something.

No comments: