Saturday, December 24, 2011

Organizing Principles

D was there to work. Had that look about him, and wearing old clothes. We assembled the flute boxes, with their dividers, re-boxed all of them. 144, eight extras we stashed in one of the cupboards. Re-organized the top glass storage shelf in the back room of the kitchen. Re-stacked everything. Went down to the basement and consolidated things, threw some stuff away. Pegi had said to store some of the glasses down there, but after cleaning out space, we realized it wasn't suitable for that; however, we were able to get some other items stored down there. Freeing up space, which was the order of the day. More rain. For 80 of 88 counties in Ohio this was already THE record year.; but is supposed to nice (50/30, sunny) for the next couple of days, so I'm excited about finishing stage one of the floor insulation project. Making a crock pot of grits, and I have a pork tenderloin, lots of fresh eggs. I'm beginning to see a lot of breakfasts in my near future. D left while I was still locking up, anxious to get home to the family. I wasn't in much of a hurry, thought I might watch an episode of "Person Of Interest", which I like quite a lot. The phone rang, and it was Kristi, from Kentucky, and it was so nice to hear her voice. We talked for a while, catching up: the metaphysics of missing someone or a place or even a particular job. She seems to be doing well, a car, a couple of jobs, I told her she had to get up here for The Emiliy Project, or before that, and we could close out the pub, singing Jack Vetter's version of Bob Dylan's "Knocking On Heaven's Door". There's some Garcia there, from when Dylan toured with "The Grateful Dead", so I'm sensitive to that; Garcia is my household god, so I'm sensitive to any nuance. Not that I hear anything different, it's the same noise; loading a dishwasher, whatever, dishes rattling down on a table, fucking silverwear, man, why do they call it that? Oh, of course. Fucking holidays are a pain in the ass. Clearly there are walls, I construct them to protect my ass. Not always as clear as I should be, I generally think about protecting my ass first and think about the consequences later.

No comments: