Thursday, December 1, 2011

Reciprocity

Reduce the infinite to finite bites. 128 steps, whatever; divide that by the time needed for each individual step. You get a number. Half a drink and one more cigaret, you get an answer, should have gone to bed earlier, when I could have slept. I'm only partially responsible for the things I seem to have caused. Finally did sleep, and almost late, don't have time to warm the house, don't shave, head into town. The lake has released almost all of its heat, just thin wisps rising. Crisis management. The stage manager in me comes out. Relegate, eliminate, fix with baling wire, find something that will do. Took down the Laura Sanders painting, on loan from the Columbus museum (can't be in the same room with food or drink) and hung another painting there. Jennifer coordinates these events and she's good, I think I've done seven of these with her, we banter and touch on the arm, but the other hospital ladies don't know how to take me. I must seem cryptic and a bit strange to them, at first. I usually win them over. Mostly they're married and well kept; but I'm having a drink with one of them, single and bats both ways (she made that clear), on Saturday. She's bright, we talked about Chaucer. I did a few lines in Middle English. She asked the usual question about why I was here, and I explained about cheap land and no building codes. She asked about my house, and I explained about building without a plan, cutting the timbers on site. I could tell she was intrigued, was ready to ask her out to my house for dinner, when she suggested we meet for a drink. I can do that, though the staff at the pub will question me for days. Get set up for The Memory Project opening, high school students and their drawings, their parents, and their aunts and uncles, and I stay through that, until I see we have secured the cheese balls and the olives that are left over, then I go home. It's Thursday, right? I have the day right, at least. I almost email TR about what is a diminished chord. But I just went to bed, instead. You and conflict. We should make a poster.

No comments: