Thursday, January 19, 2012

Confusion

Mary says, in a letter to her mother, that she is ''too busy to swallow". Looking at the calendar (Diana sent a lovely Outhouse Calendar) and penciling in museum business, I sense enjambments in April, May, and June. A few extra days work, still, doable. One problem with getting good at something is that you usually get faster; D and I (and now TR) are incredibly efficient at installing and uninstalling shows, so they keep cutting down the size of the window we'll have to accomplish those things. Perfectly natural, good use of man-power, but a couple of the turnarounds are going to be difficult. D goes after the rest of the folk art show tomorrow, in Springfield, he went northeast of Columbus today, to get the edgy large-format photography show for upstairs. I'll move it upstairs tomorrow (he came in just at five, needed to unload the rented van, so he could take it back and get the rental truck for the folk art) and unwrap it. I'm anxious to see them. Large scale digital plotting. The technology is amazing. The prints are drop dead beautiful. There's a fairly large movement in photography now, and maybe it's the technology that makes it possible, to make pictures that have, or seem to have, a narrative. They're often, the images, not quite creepy but mysterious, look at the work of Gregory Crewdson. So I'll have that to think about that for the next eight weeks, as I make my rounds. The Night Watchman. TR, to his credit, correctly understood that there would be a confrontation between Pegi-Trish and D about the scheduling; TR and I, over a beer after work, discussed ways we might defuse the situation. We both like our jobs, but Pegi has a temper, and is a bit of a control freak, and D will not bend, and if there is a rift, where do we fall? If they fired Darren it'd have to quit. Sell my timber and move further south, where there was fresh-squeezed orange juice and a different raft of shit. I have to go, a friend stuck in a ditch, and I'm the nearest guy with chains. I'm better off alone, less accountable. No forwarding address. It's easy, actually, to get that car out, it's just another stuck vehicle, you use some chains.

No comments: