Monday, January 2, 2012

Out of Order

Came back to town because of forecast snow and I must be here Tuesday, to start un-installing three shows. D's back at school. Me and TR. No phone at my house, so I have a couple of posts backed up there that will be out of order, they were the 31st and early morning of the 1st. Huge winds. Got the insulation done, ate well. Wanted to stay home, but the rule is that, in winter, if I absolutely have to be at the museum, I have to come to town before a weather event. In addition, we should get one of the new Carter's tomorrow. I read Mary's letters all afternoon, 1927 - 1930, interesting. I'm hooked. It's instructive to read what was going on in their lives when a particular painting in our collection is mentioned. All those early money worries. The other artists they knew and spent time with. The occasional letter written by Clarence, mostly when he was visiting Portsmouth, to Mary. Found out that the model for two early paintings that I like quite a lot, was Italian, from the year in Europe; just before he met Mary, on the trip home. My favorite painting in the permanent collection, "Serenity" (that model), because I could live with it, you glance at something ten or twelve times a day, you want to like what you see. I'm not a critic, not even well informed. If I hear art glass being referenced as a good investment, I'll shoot someone. I did beat the snow, a skiff, blowing hard. Walked over to Kroger and got a couple of things I could nuke. They have dramatically improved the science of flash-freezing, some things are quite good. I don't usually eat like this, but it's interesting to sample some things I wouldn't normally fix for myself. The first Carter son, John, was born in 1930, and the number of letters increases. Mary was prolific. Found a small connection today, between one of the photographs Clarence took of a specific painting, it was a little exciting. Sara called, and we had a great talk, as we are capable of, and discussed the provenance of another painting that we had been asked about. She asked me to mark any passages that drew connections, which I was already doing. It was Glenn, I think, who left me a pad of Post-Its and said "just start marking things". Which I do now, when taking a walk. Mark the occasional bush. I can't be convicted, just because someone peed on the flowers. I hate that these will be out of order.

No comments: