Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Rain Stoppage

It rained so hard from nine last night until three this morning, that when it stopped, the silence woke me. Then the frogs and bugs raised a mighty chorus. I went outside to listen. After about ten minutes, everything went quiet again, as the next band of rain moved in. It became apparent that I wasn't going back to sleep, so I got up, made an omelet and drank a glass of juice, collected fifteen gallons of wash water while I ate an early breakfast. Anticipating a good harvest, I read some mushroom recipes. I want to stuff some, with goat cheese and shallots, I want to make a soup or stew of some type, and I'll need a list of ingredients that I'm missing, for the next time I go to town. Straight-line winds, I'd better go. Intense, I never lost power, which is impressive, because the wind must have been blowing at 50 MPH, the house was shaking, I'd already put on my LED headlamp, but it was gone, as quickly as it had arrived. Thank the gods. I don't have to go out tomorrow, someone else can clear the deadwood off the road. I don't mention almost everything, I'm not political, and I don't give a shit about who sides with who. Rain again, I think I'll go take a nap. Tomorrow I fully intend to eat like a king, cut some blackberry canes, clear a path to the future. For now, it's enough to put my down pallet on the floor. More rain. Then a break, I went out and quickly got half-a-pound of morels. Fried a patty of my stone-ground whole corn polenta, topped with morels in a butter sauce. Good way to start the day. Read for a couple of hours, an old paperback John D. Mac Donald, when another line of rain sweeps through. Thunder, I have to close down. I need a tablet with a keyboard and a battery. But I did cut some blackberry canes, to clear a path to another area where I wanted to look for mushrooms. Radio says widespread flooding, so I skip going to town. Slice and pound out the last of the pork tenderloin, make a stuffing of butter-fried morels and goat cheese, with shallots and mint. I have to fry the medallions for a minute on a side, to firm for rolling and finish them in the toaster oven. Superb by any standards, you could serve these at any restaurant in the world. If you're making home-made polenta, clean everything right away. It's cementious. Went for a walk, after dinner. Leaf-out is exploding: this rain, and the green wall between me and the world, is exploding exponentially. At 25% leafage I can barely see the other side of the hollow, two weeks from now, I won't be able to see 25 feet. First there's rain fog, everything is obsrroutched. Call it what you will.

No comments: