Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Reconnected

Good to get those posts out. I wanted to read them, but I didn't want to take the time with just a taped repair. Besides, I can print them here, once TR gets me hooked up. I'm so far behind. I need a better printer, and I need someone to show me the way to operate a vending machine. I keep getting something I didn't ask for; it's strange, what you end up with. Every hollow has a name. The phone guy asked about mine, I told him it was Low Gap and we talked about that for a while. He was enjoying his trip to the country. Asked for a drink of water, ended up coming inside and having a beer. He sat on the stairs, he couldn't believe them, kept asking how I had come up with the idea. I tried to explain how you just let the materials speak, and I could tell I wasn't making any sense to him. He allowed as how he had never seen so many books in one place before. I told him I was a writer, books were my stock in trade, and he asked some questions about how I ended up here. I explained how the combination of cheap land and no building codes was a powerful incentive. Led to a conversation about lifestyles. He asked about the driveway in winter and just shook his head. As it turned out, it was this small connection, thirty minutes of conversation, that insured he would find the problem with my phone, do a temporary repair (I told him that my land-line was critical, and that my readers surely thought I had died) and insured that the line would be replaced tomorrow. Not bad, though it did take ten days. Still, it is the end of the line, such that everyone and everything takes precedence over Low Gap Hollow. I heard that guy eats roadkill and sucks water from the rocks. Wouldn't want him near my daughters. With all, it's better to be considered slightly crazy, most people leave you alone. I do lick rocks, to test their salinity, and I eat roadkill because it's free protein. By my standards, everyone else is crazy. These first Red Maple leaves are so soft, like velour, they make me forget everything. Fritz pulled his pipe from his pocket. Fade to black.

No comments: