Friday, June 20, 2014

Bells and Whistles

I had to turn on the AC. Black Dell was being recalcitrant, she says one thing and seems to mean another. I know I'm well and truly home when I stop down at B's new place and we talk about digging out the grader ditch. Back in the saddle. Deny as you will, what it comes down to is moving fill from one place to another. Hot running water, did I make a point of that? Such a treat. Statistics indicate that very clean people rise more quickly in the job-force. I 'bathed ahead' at the conference, and got an email today that indicated SUNY Press wanted a manuscript. I should bathe more often. I need new equipment, and I need TR to set me up. I think I could get "Janitor College" together in short order, a month or so, now that I'm not at the museum, and my time, as they say, is my own. Digging out the grader-ditch is a serious under-taking, cubic yards of material that have to be moved. I already know my back will hurt. I want to pay someone else to do it, but B insisted that we shouldn't pay for something we could do ourselves. Spreading fines across the road. Big loud thunderstorms. The house shakes and the lightning flares. I have to shut down, and when the power goes out, I read by headlamp. Basho. He reminds me of myself.

no moon, no blossoms
just drinking sake
all alone

No idea what time it is, not even what day. It's dark, is all I know, and the thunder echoes through the hollows. The Romans said that Echo was a nymph in love with Narcissus, but when her love was not returned, she pined away until only her voice remained.

No comments: