Friday, June 6, 2014

Preparations

Phone calls and emails, another trip out today, to do laundry, and buy a 'burner' cell phone that I can use to call AAA if I need a tow. The mammoth rains of yesterday (every rill running spate) have buried me in a jungle of green. The cell phone thing went very well, I finally found someone attune to my needs, that I needed a cheap phone and thirty minutes of call time; that I'd probably never use the damn thing, because I didn't get reception at my house. I got a phone and sixty minutes for $25. Got my laundry done, got the last supplies I'll need for the trip, travel sized tooth-paste, shampoo, a small plastic bottle of lotion that I'll use as after-shave. Talked with my contact person, Diana, and we had a few laughs, and she assured me that I'd be fine, that four nights of hot and cold running water probably didn't endanger my soul. I'm not so sure. I had to give them my selection for a specific meal on a particular night: which entree. They all sounded good, but I went with the steak, because of the potato and turnip gratin side-dish. I have the sense that everything is hammered out ahead of time. I have nothing to do with it. The lake is over-filled, too much water; Turkey Creek is rampant. I set out, now, against the tide.

No comments: