Saturday, January 3, 2015

Freight Train

Time-keeping and the railroads. The schedule is sacred. Things like this have to be coordinated. The train wakes me, going through South Portsmouth which is actually across the river, in Kentucky; and I'm completely in the dark when the rain starts. I'm surprised it's rain, but it quickly changes to sleet, then quiet descends which means a change-over to snow. Glad I got to town. The long range forecast is for another thaw in a few days and if I pick my time, I might be able to get out on Monday or Tuesday. Picking my time means going out and in when the driveway is frozen. I'm glad I brought all that wood inside and I think I'll split some more tomorrow. Ham and split-pea soup, of course, I should have seen it coming. I make a version of this that is very good, caramelize the onions and use chicken stock to cook the peas. Cornbread sticks are recommended, but you could do this with Parker House rolls. As I think about that, I realize I never eat rolls in my house, only ever at other places. I like them, but I never make them. I spent several hours reading about dinner rolls. Awakened by rain, again. A dismal day, cold, and wet; but I had some decent fiction, a bathrobe and slippers. A good fire going, just the ticking of the stove, light rain on the roof. I roast some vegetables and keep them on the warmer shelf above the stove. Excellent grazing. I keep a horseradish mustard sauce at the island and every time I wander over I eat a piece of parsnip and half a small blue potato. The rain is turning to sleet, it sounds different, I check my headlamp and candles. Some of the candles are really stupid, a bunny or Santa Claus, but I get them very cheaply at Big Lots. Most of the time I need very little illumination. When I get up to pee, get a drink, or stoke the stove, I need just enough light to not knock over a pile of books. Which is very little, actually, just a couple of watts. The difference between seeing and not seeing is a fine line. I tend toward the shadow. My target audience drives a Volvo station wagon and never answer their phone, soccer practice or something. Another train in Kentucky, right on schedule.

No comments: