Friday, January 9, 2015

Phone Calls

No, you shouldn't be something you don't want to be, even if the sex is good. You really can't hide. Bizarre occurrence late morning, it's snowing and suddenly there are lights on the driveway. It's the power company and they sent a powerful 4-wheel drive truck up the hill to tell me that they were going to be clearing their easement. A nice guy, he's amazed I live up here. He'd heard about me, asked about water and access, good questions; he recognized the difficulties right away. Warned me that they'd me very loud when they got up near the house. They were, I stood at the kitchen window and watched them. A nice little D6 dozer, and, as usual, out in the country, a great operator. Mostly he ripped out blackberry and sumac, but quite a few poplar saplings. I can probably get a year's firewood from right at the top of the hill, where their last pole is situated (I took my service underground from there). Later, the sun breaks out and I want to go outside for an hour, but I take my time getting ready, eat a huge brunch, consider my outer layer. Called my parents and Mom sounded vigorous, Dad less so, but I had phoned because it was his 95th birthday, and that deserved a call. Uncomfortably cold and I had to go back in and get a face-mask. I don't stay out long, with the temperatures dropping below zero again. The crows congregate at sunset in a tree on the logging road, raucous as they settle in for the night. No one knows why and how they chose a rookery, but I think, on a cold night like this, that word has spread about the micro-waved mice. I want something different for dinner, I make a simple flounder bisque and eat it with oyster crackers, some cheese and olives. I can hear the weather doing something, wind in the stick trees and frozen rain on the roof, but I'd don't care, I just want a little inner peace. Curl up in my down bag and go to sleep.

No comments: