Friday, January 30, 2015

Muck

It had warmed to freezing by the time I walked over to the head of the driveway and I knew before I got there that it was going to be impassable, because even the flat section on the ridge was a muddy mess. The snow had mostly melted or sublimated, and the top inch of ground was a slippery mess. Nearly fell just placing one foot on the slope, saved by my mop-handle walking stick. If it doesn't snow too much tonight, I might able to get out tomorrow because it's supposed get colder and then much colder and everything will refreeze. High tomorrow in the teens, then zero tomorrow night. The wind has come up, and that'll help dry things out. I could get down the driveway, 4-wheel low in first gear I've gone down in six inches of wet snow, but I couldn't get back in again. I'd have to stash everything at B's and hike in a few things at a time. The crows returned and they're like a bunch of maiden aunts: it's hard to even think unless you go to the basement and plug your ears, and I don't have a basement. The house is very dirty, I track in so much crap, and the wind is roaring outside; I'd best go reheat some left-overs, keep my headlamp close at hand. I made some egg noodles from scratch and had them with butter, salt and pepper. The wind was blowing hard, I knew I'd better go. I made toasted biscuits, with chipped beef and gravy, then wrapped up in my down bag and took a nap. If I lay on my right side, I put my left hand between my knees and tuck my right hand under my left arm-pit, if I lay on left side I tuck my left hand in against my neck, under my clothes, and tuck my right hand down between the cushions on the sofa. Just trying to get comfortable. Sleep a few hours and maybe it'll be light by then and one could get their bearings. The tell you the truth, when I wake up recently, and it's five-thirty, I don't know if it's morning or night.

No comments: