Thursday, January 22, 2015

Judgement Call

This freeze-thaw crap is the worst of it. I drove over to the head of the driveway, then got out and tested the surface. Decided I could get out, and following the dictum that at this time of year, one should go to town whenever the opportunity arose. I'd dipped into the back-up supplies of juice and coffee, so I needed a few things; and had decided to duplicate (which is hardly possible) a meal of beef strips, with one of pork strips because there were a ton of loin chops discounted. I brine these, then partially freeze them and slice very thin. A stir-fry, with onion and red peppers, on a bed of smashed baked potato. My sink drain is frozen, this happens every year, and I fall back on the dish pan system of washing dishes. It's actually more economical in terms of water use and I get to yell "Gardy Loo" when I fling the water off the back porch. The house is getting quite dirty, also a seasonal cycle. Tracking in mud and leaves, bark and firewood debris, ash. My outside outer layer of clothing, black Carhartt overalls usually, are a disgrace. I have another pair, insulated, tan, with the zip-up legs, and neither pair of these have ever been washed. I keep a whisk broom, inside the back door, and use that to knock off the larger pieces, but I track huge amounts of shit inside. It would be embarassing if anyone were to visit. Mid-winter, my standards of house-keeping are very low. Thank god I don't have a dog. Or a relationship. I'd have to admit I'd failed.

No comments: