Thursday, December 4, 2008

Ignoratio Elenchi

Legal term, irrelevant information, a lot of it flying around today. Museum as zoo, prepping for the hospital party. Should have kept track but I'll bet I performed 142 specific tasks. The road goes on forever (and the party, of course, never ends) and tomorrow, in my official capacity, I'll clean up after. I liked that second posting last night. A great response from Glenn that should be posted. Several recent responses that should be posted. An interesting email from someone I don't know in Arizona who wondered if I was real. I told him yes and no, in equal measure. That writing very late at night thing is also good for keeping the stove going, wonderful warm house this morning, added a couple of quick hot sticks (dogwood) and cooked the last of the wild boar sausage, a couple of fried eggs and toast. Bring on those hospital people. The usual great walk down the driveway, but when I get to the truck, some asshole deer-hunter has parked in the driveway and I can't get out. I finally find him, they're tracking a gut-shot deer, and I don't want to offend a red-neck with a shotgun, so I help them track the deer and drag it out. Leave them with an admonition to drag it away from my driveway if the gall bladder is ruptured and they can't salvage the meat. I'm rarely late, usually early, and the chores had accumulated when I finally got to work. Endless deliveries and the decorating crew. They went with spandex table and chair covers which cover the legs completely. It's either modern or post-modern, actually looks kind of Deco to me. A foot square mirror on every table-top, with a glass jar of colored xmas balls. It looks nice, heaven forbid I should criticize anything. Actually, all day, I'm thinking about how throwing this kind of party is an installation. I joke with Jennifer about it, and she sees it the same way. The day goes well, in spite of several flares. I was off my feed this morning, something I'll talk about later, but settled into a rhythm of doing one thing after another. The show must go on. I have a particular insight into this, but we don't need to go there. I have a temper, you don't want to rouse a sleeping bear, I gave up several careers to not lose my temper. I don't like my angry self, way too sharp with language and intonation, I can blow up small buildings for Christ's sake, it's an Anglo-Saxon curse, it has a name, I can't remember it, but you really don't want to get me mad. I'm relentless and I hold people responsible for their actions. I would argue that's not a bad thing. No matter how good you are, there's always someone better. Wake up, this is the real world, where we have parties for doctors and the food costs four thousand dollars. Stop. Enough. I yield to anyone's greater knowledge. All I saw was a woodpecker, hammering on a tree. Make what you will.

No comments: