Thursday, March 12, 2009

Final Prep

Just two things left on the list: clean some flat surfaces (sub-set, put away some books), and bake a Key Lime pie. I'm on it, like ugly on a dog. Good day at work, finishing things, starting things; talk with D about setting up the next main event, get the tool room in the basement quasi-organized. My new assistant, a state subsidized employee, a welfare mom on the dole, is quite good, a fast study, she could be a janitor but I doubt she aspires to that. Bright enough and a smoker, she fits right in; and she has the place looking good, next week I'll have her painting the board room. I docent a couple of college classes, strip out some failed chalk in the board room, patch the damage (toward painting), working, starting to work, on some things D and I had talked about, future things suddenly possible, things we'd talked about for years; and he's up to speed on what he needs to be doing. He and Pegi have become a team, fun to watch, they occasionally ask my opinion, which is cool, you know, the janitor chimes in. An interesting dynamic emerging over this show that is 18 months out, they're both excited about it, what they can do, how they can do it. While I'm mopping downstairs, I think, we're going to be ok here. Don't do theater if you're prone to hysteria, it's not a management of note. That was just the morning. At some point Pegi bumped her hip into mine, she's a dancer, a tactile person, I knew what she meant. Alright, to the task at hand, I really must put away 30 books, clear the table, make the stacks secure. Bake a pie. I can do this. Throwing books on the sofa to be re-shelved is something I can do, I heat some water to wash some dishes, I need to wash my hair. Hey. This is pretty much where I live, the universe I know. The pie is perfect, I sample a small wedge, tart and on the tip of the tongue, a perfect finish. I only don't eat the whole thing because I want some of you to have some. For me, this is the dessert of the gods, one of my favorite things culinary, and easy. Why not? Feeding your favorite people is a special place. Hosting an event. Going from no one to some one, nothing is what it seems.

No comments: