Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Lucubrate

Nice word. Anthony Burgess used it in an essay I was reading yesterday. Problem with ruts in a frozen driveway is that they require the same wheel base and same size tires. Nice to drive, even roughly, up and down. Below the floodwall early and secured a nice load of dry wrack. Couldn't drive up this afternoon (33 degrees, frost coming out of the ground, mud) but will drive this load up tomorrow morning before work. A swarm of emails about the Non-Family Reunion, though I like what Brandy said -anyone who feeds you is family-. Need to think logistics. If I'm going to cook a major meal for 6 I don't want to leave the house Sunday, maybe an early morning run to pick up whatever I had forgotten, but I could send someone, probably. An eggplant marinara, cheese on the side, a rusty old block of parmesan I had washed several months ago, re-salted and stored, really nutty; medallions of pork tenderloin with The Sauce, which I will boil this weekend, adding some things, it's 8 years old now, hard to believe, and I've let it get rather hot. I'm not sure 'let it' is correct, it pretty much does what it wants to, but it has gotten too hot for 50% of people. What I think is I'll boil it, pasteurizing, then take some out, chop in some green onions and mushrooms, get a little fancy, I haven't done that in a while. The marinara for the eggplant will be orange and red peppers, onions, fire-roasted tomatoes, garlic and the usual cast of bit parts. I'll need five large pans. I need a quart of olive oil. I have walnut oil and good balsamic for the dressing, whoever is making, if there is going to be, a salad. Joyce is bringing a cake. I'm sorry B and Sarah won't be here, I wish they could. B and I cook well together. When I get home I realize I'm not hungry, such a huge lunch at the pub. Get a drink, log on, talk with you. Where I most exist is in this post. It's where I funnel everything, all of my energy, what's not required to earn a living. Every time, when I finally get to the keyboard, there's an electric connection that starts at the top of my head and travels right down to my toes. If I read Olson correctly, an opening out. In the Burgess, there were a dozen dictionaries that I didn't have, this might well bankrupt me, I need them, to refer to. It's all about language. There was this hick in Janitor College, from Arkansas or Missouri, he kept postulating there was a god, we kept shooting him down. He was an easy target and we kept plinking away. He killed himself, diving into a borrow pit with rocks attached. It was ugly, we were embarrassed, no charges were filed. Finally my hands are calm. I make a note to note the note. It's not that I'm losing my mind so much as there a lot of things going on. Life is complex. This and that, a compromise, forgetting what you were talking about, right, the reunion, specifically, the menu, sour-dough, to sop up whatever is left. Looks good to me. I can cook this meal.

No comments: