Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Board Meeting

I was so pissed about dirty dishes at the museum (ok, we all get petty) that I got up at 5, falling temps, cleaned and reconditioned 3 cast iron skillets that have lived the summer on the stove, put away the hot plate, cleaned and degreased the cookstove top, cleaned the smoke jacket (that space around the oven where the hot air flows, carrying ash), knocked down the stove pipe, vacuumed the mess, washed my hair, shaved and still got to work at 7:30 to clean the kitchen there. Trish is one of those people, and they are legion, that put everything off to the last minute, and I can't live that way. I knew I needed to spend the work-day on the Circus Show, so I had to go in early to clean the kitchen. Vented to Tammy, about why I was upset, then calmed and opened the shipment from Cleveland. Some very good stuff, Sara has almost over-borrowed and we have more than a show, we have a circus explosion. James frames an amazing 21 side-show postcards, I uncrate, unwrap, the last pieces and spread them around. Sara wanders around. This is the point, the moment. There's a show here, but we haven't found it yet, it's spread about the walls. She tells me, late in the afternoon, what some of her ideas are, and I know that everything will be moved at least once tomorrow, and I look forward to that, as the show comes together. There's all this stuff, paintings and posters and diaramas and banners, and it must be brought into a narrative line. No small task. And we're setting up for the annual Board Meeting dinner up in the Richard's gallery and the ladies are concerned with protocol, correct placement of things, Jesus, I really only want one fork, it's hard enough getting out of bed. But I monitor their needs, because I'm staying for dinner, and I need to keep everyone reasonably happy, and I hate discord. I'd walk several blocks out of my way not to hear an argument. The natural world spoils you. You start watching crows, or maybe establish a tentative relationship with a fox, and suddenly the world is different. The fact that I can roll her an apple, the fact that she takes the apple as her due. I'm bumfuzzled: a) I was never sure that anyone got this, b) given your level of sensitive information I'm surprised they allowed you, or me to talk, c) either they don't get it or we don't get it. There may be more at stake than you can imagine. Or not. How do you know? I've looked at this from a lot of different directions. I'm pleased with my restraint. I never mentioned that time you showed up drunk, and, behind the tents, we made fun of you. I have no brook with being transparent, I'm not easy, but I'm real.

Tom

Something leaked away, a fluid, I'm not sure what they meant.

No comments: