Sunday, September 13, 2009

Later

Try walking in my shoes. I went in to the museum today to see where I was going Tuesday. Not that it matters but I wondered where I'd be. I suppose it's expected, I need to handle more, when it comes to logistics. I just need to know it's my responsibility, and it would help if I had a phone. My office is actually the kitchen, with hot and cold running water, and a closet with a bucket bracket where I fill my mop pail. There is no way I'm looking for a girlfriend but I like Tammy's ankles. God help us, I like the staff at the museum right now, we get it done. The upcoming change-over looms large but Sara has booked enough time, I could do this by myself, but I need to engage James, as an installer. Pass the mantle. He's a natural, does the math in his head; I knew he would. I award myself a day off. Quite a bit of new information on Balanoculture. Seems you can practically live on a diet of acorns and a little green stuff. Balanophage, acorn eater. Odd side-bar is that I'm always tasting acorns, the Euell Gibbons influence. My Field Guide Edition of "Stalking The Wild Asparagus" cost $2.95 in 1973 and since I first read it I've searched for the illusive sweet acorn. Found two trees, one a huge first growth white oak on the farm in Missip and the other a rangy gambrel oak in Colorado, growing at 6500 feet. Both of these made a decent bread and it, as Mom always says, sticks to your bones. A couple of slices for breakfast and you can skip lunch. Evidence is that the 100 plus tribes on the west coast all lived pretty much an acorn centered life for a very long time. This is interesting reading and I almost wish I was as little bit better plugged in, as there's a shit-load of information on the net that takes me forever to access, inter-library loan is faster. Did read an article from U.S. Dept of Ag on the use of acorns as food, past, present, future. Informative but very dry. Dense mass of carbohydrates and fiber and high protein, even when the tannins are leached away. Perfect marathon food. I should set up a booth in Boston. Street food for the highly motivated. Western bean curd. Acorn jerky. Say what you will, you are what you eat.

No comments: