Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Logistics Again

I've started three lists because I have three time-lines to bring together. I think I need a clipboard because the folded sheet of paper in my pocket can no longer contain the nuances. Pulling a sizable chunk of the permanent collection tomorrow, several paintings for the Circus Show, downstairs, and that will leave some orphans so several walls will need patching and painting then re-hanging with other Carters from the vault. Started painting downstairs but ran into a couple of problems there, one, that the signage wall has begun edging out of it's corner, because every time you tape and repaint it, it moves a little further onto the adjacent pilasters; and, two, that I'd done some patch and fill in the gift shop and when I tried to touch-up the paint discovered that the wall was painted in an eggshell finish we no longer use. So I have to tape off the signage wall in reverse, to back-paint the corners, and will need to paint an entire wall in the gift shop. Fine. Study the list of paintings to pick up in Cleveland, seven paintings, five venues. Four will not be wrapped. Make a list. Note addresses, Google maps. Clay wants to go next Tuesday and Wednesday, make three of the pick-ups, rent a motel room, wine and dine, then hit the Cleveland Museum and Berea (some small college) on the way out of Dodge. I'll have to contact people at all these places, project an ETA. Thank god it's collectors and museums, if it was artists, five hits in two days would be impossible. They always forget, and when you arrive at the correct time at the correct place they're off getting their teeth cleaned, or getting a new tattoo. Time to handle the arrangements, so not too concerned, but that means leap-frogging chores I was planning. no problem, I was expecting this, the priority is the trip to Cleveland. It gathers the last of that show (Circus) for which I'm responsible, still two pick-ups being made by art shippers and I need to check on them. All of this has to happen before the Auction Benefit, because as soon as that's down, we have the movie premier, then installing the Circus Show, with the patron party pre-opening. Before which, somewhere, I'm looking for an extra week here, I really need to be helping Kenny matte and frame photos of the next show upstairs, from our photo archives, tying early businesses to actual artifacts. I was thinking about expectations on the way home, stopped at the lake, drank a very good porter and rolled a couple of smokes. The next month looks impossible, too many events, too many openings, too many clogged toilets, too many trips, and I have to break in a new person to help me install shows. There must be some appropriate Yiddish phrase. That's the way I feel. Still, it is doable, I think, with a little cooperation. There are still stops I can pull out, stays, but to push that sailing metaphor, when you're running before the wind, a spinnaker, above twelve knots the hull rises, planes, and all sound is behind you. I got this from people I sailed with, that they always wanted it behind them. I wondered what that meant, but I was really interested in not capsizing so I didn't ask too many questions. Your job is not be obnoxious and ask the right questions. Never mind what you thought you meant.

No comments: