Saturday, September 12, 2009

Conceptual Stairs

The idea of ascent, movement from lower to higher (and the other way around, by implication), the means thereof. I remember some staircases, I imagine some others, then I think about some specific people and the stairs they might build for a show. Kim, Michael, Dennis, Tom Howe. As it happens I know a lot of people who build stairs. Can't remember how many sets I've built but the number is large. In one fantasy the gallery would be almost crowed with steps and stairs, all free-standing, all unique, this particular fantasy takes the place of another one, where several staircases accessed a common platform, the railing for which would be a bolted or notched system of natural sticks. Sara, listening, said she needed a concept, to hold it all together, then mentioned Carter's paintings and prints of almost try to reconstruct.

No comments: