Saturday, June 5, 2010

Loaded Out

Met Mid-West Art Shippers at the back door bright and early. He was on a tight schedule and we got him loaded and off in just over an hour. Once the crates were on the truck our responsibility was ended and we turned to matters at hand. D had a flyer to design and I have a list as long as my arm to accomplish in the next week, then the going gets really difficult for another week. It's all theater, life is, if you look at it from enough remove. D agrees to a labor swap, I'll help him frame his addition if he helps me re-insulate (new and improved) the floor at my place. If I can control heat-loss, I can make my life easier. I need to control heat-loss because last winter was way too difficult. I'm going to buy a back-up load of wood, cut split oak, a dump truck load for $120, approaching two cords, for next winter, because I can afford it, and because I need the peace of mind. If I catch the flu, next year, I want to be able to push a wheelbarrow load of wood to the back door, sniffling and sneezing. Crap had accumulated in the drain, various hairs, and fibers from the carpet; they seem to indicate something, vectors for disease, but I would be able to survive, no matter what. My fall-back position. A final circle of hell. I think about selling the tree farm and moving to town, selling the truck and getting a bicycle with a basket. Simplify. Stop shaving, let my hair get long and greasy, mutter to myself in public.

Biggest fool I ever saw
Came from Arkansas;
Put his shirt on over his coat,
Button his britches up round his throat.

"Perhaps it's just true that Faulkner, if he had been born in Pasadena, might very well have had that universal quality of mind, but instead of writing "Light In August" he would have gone into television or written ads for Jantzen bathing suits." William Styron. John Lee Hooker, "Sail On", my little want-to-be, sail on. My little honey bee, coming back home to me. Forgive me for saying maybe it's a good thing we can't sell our house. We've had our share of heartaches, the janitor's ball; the janitor's ball as crazy as can be. Check the cadence. Where else could I deposit myself? What's right?

No comments: