Saturday, June 12, 2010

Ozone

Certainly clears the air, when lightning shatters the sky and thunder is right on top. But my power comes from almost due west, and the worst storm cell was already northeast before the fireworks. Other than feeling like a tadpole in a eyeglass, I'm fine. The house shook in a way you wouldn't understand unless you lived in an earthquake zone. It rumbled and moved my chair across the floor. I wasn't afraid, exactly, but I was anxious. The air was so electric it took my breath away. My phone comes from the east and Mackletree is a nest of snags, so I don't know when I'll be able to send this. Raw nature is an awesome thing. My breathing is still ragged. Time stops, there is nothing but the actual moment. Bam, then you ring it home, like Bach in a Partita, or a salsa that knocks you off your feet. I fell in love twice today and that's a record for me, consider dating, what's involved with that. I don't need anyone else in my life right now, but I do enjoy the banter. Everything talks to me, I'm merely a vessel. Had that thought strongly when I was holding Zoe's stick figure in a particular position and she was re-gluing the joints. Realized I was empathetic to a large degree, work well with people that have a focus. Get to work early, final day for submissions, and it's always a zoo, rains all day, so there's a lot of damp art. Some of the best 3D work comes in, several installations, some great ceramics. We end up opening early, snag a late lunch, and by closing time there is artwork everywhere: the gift shop, the library, all three galleries, the entryway, close to three hundred pieces. Tomorrow will be a zoo, the judging, until enough pieces are eliminated to start making sense of what the show will be. The next six days, in fact, stack up as a circus. The next two days, judging, and then setting the show, D and I will walk twenty miles, up and down, back and forth. At this point (D, Sara and I, stayed for a while this evening) I think we could call 75% of what will be accepted, but don't have a clue about Best In Show or the various other cash awards. There are six or seven pieces that might be 'the best' but it's a judgmental call. I want to turn Zoe's stick lady around and give her a light. Tomorrow is another day.

No comments: