Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Cooler

End of September, the edge is off. Thoughts turn toward firewood, walking sticks, and the condition of my crampons. There are things I must do. The yearly battle with my reading habits. I read so much of the time it's almost shocking. Over the three-day weekend I'll read for 20 hours. I need to cut that back about half for four weeks, then I'd be good to go. But then today, at the library, there was the new Carl Hiaason, which will be an idiotic delight, and a book I had ordered on inter-library loan about cave-paintings. I have a new phone with a functioning '9' which will undoubtedly increase my phone bill. $11 at K-Mart, I can't believe I've gone for months without being able to call anyone with a 9 in their number. I immediately place some calls, but no one is home; at least I can now, so I'll call Mom next Saturday or Sunday, touch base with the daughters, be able to call Pegi and tell her I can't make it to work. 75% of my time off is weather related. Look to the larder, I need winter food supplies, canned goods and beans and rice. I'm going to use the crock-pot a lot this coming winter, to make soups and stews. Risotto doesn't fry well, but I heat it through and have a portion on toast. I need some salt-pork in the freezer. I need to eat bacon, not only for the smell, but to accumulate some grease. No way you'd venture above the beaver ponds to fish for cut-throat trout, above12.000 feet, in May. Everyone calls you back. I save a fortune in long distance calls.

No comments: