Saturday, September 18, 2010

Nepenthe

Forget which way my head is screwed on. Got hit by an acorn, right on top of the head, it had never happened to me before, and hurt like hell. Raised a lump. Liza, one of my favorite people, a film maker, is in town, with the lead in her next film, and they invited themselves out for coffee tomorrow. Thinking about remembering, Liza was last here, I think, in the fall of last year, and we had a great ladies-from-town sleepover. I don't remember what I fixed for dinner. Anyway, D was out just one time, bringing me the window AC unit and figuring out the mounting bracket, and now Liza is back, it's almost fall again, and that is the total visitation for the year. It's not that I'm unpopular, so much as that I'm difficult of access, I think. I put a few things away, because I know people are coming, but I can't really disguise who I am, a quite slovenly recluse with a lot of books. Instead of a closet, I use laundry baskets to sort my clothes, everything is wrinkled, it's my motif, I'm known for my wrinkles. When I visit anyone, decreasingly, I use a laundry basket rather than a suitcase. Dirty clothes go into a plastic shopping bag and we don't have the 'sock' problem. Gorganzola on a stick. I mean, come on, a dead skunk is sometimes just a dead skunk. Not a metaphor for something we don't want to think about, but the rotten eggs of a really sour fart, something completely smellable. Everything is relative. I worked with Beverly Sills on her last "Traviata", held book on Hume and Jessica going in Off-Broadway with"The Gin Game", it's a shooting match. Damned if you do, and damned if you don't. The problem with working with good people is that the bar is set higher. I resist this because I'm lazy, I'd rather do nothing. Sit on my ass and figure why they'd used that type face. What were they thinking? Baked beans on toast. I'm becoming British. Awfully convenient, though, when it's blowing a gale, and you have to keep one hand on the tiller. I will never again climb anything higher than a mole hill. There is no reason to see more than twelve miles ahead, which is what you see at sea level. The curvature of the earth, if you're sitting in a crow's nest. Higher is certainly better if you're looking to extend your view. I look down, mostly, tadpoles and inflatable geese, what is above remains above, something I seldom notice. Even acorns falling is something I could readily forget, but they are so insistent. And so irregular in time. Post-modern for sure, maybe even beyond that, but I don't keep track. I'm a Structuralist, really, I tend to make something out of nothing. I can SEND this now that I have both power and a phone.

No comments: