Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Errands

Laundromat, liquor store, library. Stop at the museum to read in quiet AC space, then to the pub for a draft Harp and a bowl of stew. Slow drive home around the long way. Another park lake coming in that way, no one in the parking lot, so I stop to watch another large flotilla of geese. They didn't seem to be doing anything but floating around like a bunch of funny balloons, very still, rigid necks and heads, all in exactly the same pose. Had the thought that it would be very silly to get a good goose suit and float out there on an inner tube. Would they worship me or peck me to death? Writer Found Dead In A Bloodied Goose Suit Floating On Lake, or a human interest story about a reclusive writer who had attracted the following of several hundred geese. Spent a lot of time today thinking about building just one more house. I could do it, it'd be a push, but I've only ever lived in my own houses for a very long time. But I'm not sure it's important any more. I live so much in my head now, all I require is solitude. I'd do best, I think, in a single apartment above a commercial enterprise. A bakery would be good, or a place that canned pepper jelly, I wouldn't be too particular as long as the smell wasn't sneaker socks, or any of those cheeses I bring in late at night. Hey, I have limits. You, and your cheese, are just a part of my life. I looked at some really nice apartments but they were in the shade of the flood wall and I couldn't live there. My guardian angel points to higher ground. There's one more house I'd like to build, I run it through my mind, a thirty foot square with a full hip roof, overhanging eaves, vaguely pagoda-like, based on ten-foot bays defined by posts and beams; no interior walls, just bookcases. I could build it in 90 days, I think, hire Bear to assemble the roof, as I cut the pieces, otherwise, do it all myself. On the other hand, any small house, on the west side of town, with a serviceable roof, would do. I have nothing to prove, I don't really need to build another house, still, I can't help thinking, I could build one more place. I make some sketches, doodles really, figuring how I'd do some joints, physical building is one thing. What you think is another.

No comments: