Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Glitches

Mackletree is closed, rebuilding a bridge, at least the third iteration as there are two sets of abutments. When they re-paved Mackletree last, they asphalted right over the old wooden bridge, thereby sealing its fate. Now have to replace the whole thing. For the best, as at least four guys above the bridge on Mackletree are long-haul truckers and often bring their rigs home. My egress is blocked. I can take Upper Twin either way. Easiest drive would be out the upper end to Rocky Fork and back to town on Rt.125, longer, though, than just going down the road to Rt.52. Going down is such a winding wend I hate to face it first thing in the morning. It is beautiful. Probably use both routes. Can't come out of town the way I'm used to (out the back way) because they're rebuilding an overpass. Went down the creek this morning, stopped at the ford, where the new bridge is, drove fast, over and back, over and back, to clean my wheel-wells. Stopped to admire a lupine-like purple flower, that, for all I know, could have been a lupine. They had some mud-slide --- rock-fall event, a few years ago, about 7 miles west of Portsmouth. They took off all the overburden, down to sandstone bed, in terraces up a goodly slope. It's an earthwork. I like it a lot. Stopped to look for fossils and found several nice arthropods. I have a nice little hard plastic pig that I think was part of a game, I found it below the flood-wall, and keep it perched on a very nice flat rock I found in Mackletree Creek; it's just a half inch-thick piece of sandstone, maybe four inches by five, but it is perfectly banded in some hard smooth rock-like substance that isn't the same color. It's always darker. I have several of these rocks. I think it's a mineral intrusion that oxidizes in cracks where there have been shifts in the earth. I now have the pig, on the rock, smelling a trilobite. It's really cute, and because I install shows, I take it very seriously. The pig is probably fiberglass, but I guarantee, the trilobite is cast concrete. If the pig is ten feet tall the trilobite weighs over a hundred pounds. You can't expect me to like that. The next thing you know the pig is mylar, hauled behind a plane, and the trilobite weighs a ton.

No comments: