Friday, May 18, 2012

What's Said

I would never say anything that's not true, that's at the heart of it. Not that I don't make mistakes. Most of the morning talking about museum security. A serious upgrade is in the offing if the big capital campaign goes well, though this is not a great time to ask people for money. In the afternoon D and I took apart a few of the display cases in the artifact gallery so he could clean the insides, I painted the Richards gallery. There's still some ghosting, the residue of the (new) adhesive from the vinyl signage, and I'll have to get a second coat on those areas. A dinner, I think it's a fundraiser, at the museum today, 5 to 7, people arriving at 4, live music, the usual chaos. I'm the default Chaos Manager, putting out a lot of little fires. It's interesting work because it's never the same. Doing theater prepares you for this kind of job. Any of a dozen people I've worked with over the years could do what I do, most of them trained in theater, and the rest are from that set of people that tend to do everything themselves. Design and build a house, do all the wiring and plumbing yourself, grow all your own food, brew beer, make wine; all of those things, and ten thousand beside, prepare you to solve the problem at hand. The actual issue. I came straight home, 30 minutes and some change, turned on the AC, because it was too hot for Black Dell, and leafed through several books that have arrived recently. Linda sent "Tinkers", Tom and Lauren had sent a couple, and I made the mistake of going to the Goodwill Bookstore. I can't resist cheap books that I might read; I put a board across an empty aquarium and started another pile.

No comments: