Saturday, November 17, 2012

Simple Pleasures

Small chores, a punch list, because there's a brunch and music thing at the museum on Sunday. Quick shop at Kroger (the place was swamped, Friday afternoon before a holiday) and I left work an hour early, to better consider my fate. I don't know what to think, I'm preoccupied with several things, and my older daughter reamed me out about not staying in better touch. She's correct, but I've had a lot on my plate. I begged forgiveness and promised to be more attentive to my fatherly responsibilities. But, you know, they can call me if they want to talk about something, and I hate calling anyone, anymore, because they're always driving and talking on a cell phone, and I'm afraid I'm going to hear them die because of my call. A thin sliver of moon, I love these, you can almost feel the shadow. A ghostly galleon. Tilt your head, it's a boat upon the sea. I often just look at patterns, as if they carried meaning. I'm very happy that Mr. Rove ended up on the chopping block, they thought they had the superior machine, and they were wrong. Sinners and saints. There was some ground pork in the remaindered bin at Kroger and I decided to make some chorizo sausage, not in a casing, scrambled, with a couple of eggs. A friend had sent some very good paprika and I had, on hand, some excellent ground chilies, kosher salt and some freshly ground black pepper, lots of garlic (five cloves for a pound of pork), and you have four servings, two eggs each, either rolled in tortillas, or with toast on the side, smeared with butter and hot pepper jam. So good I forget what I was thinking. I had an old vines zin I was saving for a special occasion, and I realized this was the occasion; so, at two in the morning, I find myself at the island, drinking good wine from a tumbler, and enjoying a great meal. Go figure. Reading a New Yorker article about campaigns won and lost. Thank god I never ran for office, to count myself among the other meaningless assholes, not to put too fine a point, but it's all wasted on me. I'd rather watch young squirrels scamper.

No comments: