Monday, September 9, 2013

Cross Purposes

All levels could and should mix. That might be Duke Ellington. Might as well be Bill Evans, or even early Miles. What cool jazz makes you do, is think a different way. Not unlike the first time I heard the Cello Suites all the way through. I was listening to the Cantatas, one a week, opening Robert J's show on WGBH, there must be like 152 of them, and I was aware of the huge organ pieces, because the house organ at FSU was just behind the wall of my shop there. But I don't think I heard Rostropovich until 1995, and I still consider that the correct order: 1,4,5; 2,3,6. I think that's just a matter of familiarity. I've listened to them now by a great many people, in any number of orders, and it doesn't seem to make a difference. The fifth is difficult and the sixth is always profound. The sixth is almost always last. When a genius is working at the top of their form, you don't interject criticism, you just lean back and listen. Bach is god.. As close as we mere mortals are likely to be. The fifth and sixth Cello Suites are transcendent; I often hold my breath until I pass out. I only want the things that matter. I parked in a new place, down nearer to the print shop, because I noticed a snag that looked a little delicate, where I usually parked. After Thursday, this will all be mute, but the snag was large enough (essentially, half a grown oak tree) to take the Jeep right out, and I thought the better part of valor was not to tempt fate. I need to access both the front and rear doors on the driver's side (I stash purchases on the seat behind me) and I had picked a place where the driveway was wider but I hadn't noticed a bull-vine tendril, what I think they call green-briar locally, and I ripped my arm pretty badly. It's not a big deal, I flush it with water, then a sodium chloride irrigation liquid, but it's one of those difficult wounds to bandage. I figure I needed to keep it covered for two nights, while the new tissue firms up, and I realized the sleeve off a dead but clean tee-shirt would be perfect: slip it on, take a fold, and secure it in place with surgical tape. I might as well have said I was slashed by a black bear, but it was actually just green-briar.

No comments: