Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Less Likely

I'm less likely to trip over my own two feet if I post a sign that reminds me to watch where I put them. I still trip, occasionally, it's not a sure thing, just walking from one place to another. I'm so easily distracted. But if I leave a note, it might steer me away from disaster. Speaking of which, backed-up floor drain in the basement. Had to call a plumber for that, then had to clean up. Took it pretty easy, as M and C get back with the African Show tomorrow, which means about fifty trips to the third floor. Supposed to rain Thursday, which might put a damper on re-building the driveway, I should know tomorrow night, to see if I go in to work. The big ODC show comes down next week, then we're installing the Renaissance painting show, then the big fund-raiser, then the girls for Thanksgiving. A lecture in there somewhere. And I have my own work to get along with, which is taking a fair amount of my energy right now, because I'm going to be presented in public, and I wonder what the hell I'll say. I'm liable to say almost anything., right? I'm not him. I'm the guy who talks about him, from at least one remove. It's a merry dance. I was eating sushi, earlier, with too much wasabi, and the tears were running down my cheeks, and I was laughing, because if anyone had seen me, at that moment, they would have thought I was despondent, and I was actually quite happy, having eliminated a semi-colon and two commas. I had left two notes on my keyboard, which were two quite different inflexions of exactly the same phrase, punctuated differently. I went off to take a nap, rolling out my foam pad on the living room floor, because it was brutally hot and colder air sinks; hours later I got up to pee and turned on my desk lamp, to reread the notes, and it was very clear that they said different things. I'm on this like a Black-Mouth cur, a Blue-Tick hound, a beagle, rooting for the scent. Why is meaning so completely transformed by punctuation? Even in this word-rich language, it's difficult to say what you mean.

No comments: