Saturday, September 7, 2013

Fall Sign

A crew had been out, to take that tree off of the phone line. They were good, I stopped to watch them. They wore hard-hats, goggles, and space-age chaps (to protect against kick--back (a chainsaw is a fearsome thing)), and proceeded cautiously. As well they should. A large tree, wedged up in one way or another, is a dynamic threat. There's a huge amount of kinetic energy, and the saw tends to bind. A few leaves are falling, when the wind blows hard, but the sure indicator that the seasons are changing is when the parking-lot birds play in the pampas grass. It only happens for a few weeks every year, that the small brown birds that work the parking lot over at Kroger, migrate a few hundred yards south to ride the waving stalks in the traffic island behind the bank. They may have an agenda. I find it amusing to watch them, but I've never found anyone else that found it interesting. I'd mostly rather be alone anyway. I don't know what drove me to that state, habituation, probably, what becomes comfortable. I don't wear rings or watches or name tags, because the first lesson you learn in theater, is that you don't want to wear things that can snag. Same with art work. Brutal dirty day at work. TR and I spent hours in the basement, moving stuff, sweeping, vacuuming, and mopping. We got a good bit of it done, and at the end of day we both looked like coal-miners. I have to go to town tomorrow, to do my laundry and some shopping, and when I got home I just undressed into the laundry basket while I heated water for a sponge bath. If I'd known I was going to get so dirty, I would have just booked a room at a motel. God bless running hot water. I heard B's yodel, as he approached my place. We both give fair notice when approaching, it's a country habit. The good news was that Scott would be here next Thursday, and that I needed to be here, to supervise the work on draining the puddles, and then B and I would drive up and down the driveway fifty times, so I needed to have a full tank of gas. Means just three more round-trips, which I can just about muster, on the goat trail. Means I can finally cook that damned rabbit and have TR and Meagan up here for dinner. Means I can finally drive up to my house and haul away some trash. Means I can buy a load of firewood. So I will take Thursday off, to watch it all happen, the driveway, draining the ponds. B and I will have to spend an hour clearing brush and saplings from the ditch easement. This is one of the most exciting things that's happened to me in recent years. Beside myself, that it's actually happening, will be happening; lord knows, we have to get the tense correct, even if we hadn't known each other previously. This is now and nothing compares. I have a 'random events' calendar that includes almost everything.

No comments: