Friday, January 31, 2014

Boiler Confusion

Late for work, I had to build a fire and get it damped down (an hour-and-a-half) and Pegi called wondering (for Mark) where the handbook for the unit called "The Air Handler" was, and I told her there was no such manual. Mark and Charlotte had stayed, yesterday, while Dennis installed the new starter motor on the boiler that wasn't working, but when they got in to work this morning the inside temperature was 53 degrees and everyone was in a panic. Did I mention that I hate being the 'Facilities Manager'? Finally got the guy who had installed the air handler to come out, and it was just a setting on one of the dials that someone had turned (not me, I don't turn dials, but there have been a lot of people in that room recently) and once it was reset, heat was flowing again. The air handler is huge, by the way, with ductwork, it fills a room 12 feet by 16 feet, with just room to walk around it. What it does is just move the air, whether it's hot or cold air, the lungs of the system. I don't know how any of this equipment operates, I don't know how electricity operates, and I certainly don't understand how a low-pressure boiler functions. I don't want to know. Too much information. My hands aren't working up to correct standards, what with the cold, and wearing gloves inside. I broke the Pyrex bowl I've used for shaving at the kitchen sink (for 14 years) and there's glass everywhere. It'll take days to find all the pieces. It shattered. I'd gotten the area around the sink and stove fairly warm, heated water on the stove, I've done this thousands of times, shaved, and was drying the bowl to put it in it's place, and it just slipped out of my hands. It was a useful sized bowl, two or three quarts. I used it for mixing up small pones of cornbread and countless other tasks and I'll have to replace it. Next time I do my laundry I'll find something at Big Lots. Pottery and glass almost always break. I have some pottery I've been using for forty years, but, eventually, someone will break it, if I don't get around to it. The finite nature of things. In my defense, it's hard to hold on to anything, even adobe walls eventually crumble. I have to go, the wolf-hound is at the gate.

No comments: