Sunday, January 19, 2014

Nothing New

I need to clean out the fridge and dump my ashes. It's not rocket science, but when it gets very cold, everything is a chore. Dumping the piss-pot becomes an issue. I'm fine, reading next to the stove, but going outside means putting on boots, sweeping a path, breathing sharp winter air, and considering my isolation. Not that I would trade it for anything. I actually prefer being alone, the way silence becomes a companion. When I'm truly in the zone I find myself hum/whistling an old tune, "Sweet Melissa", or something like that, when I'm carrying a frozen log out of the woods. I must present a sorry case, in terms of ambition or personal appearance, but I don't care. What counts is being in the moment. I have an ambitious day planned for tomorrow, later today more accurately, in which I hope to carry several frozen logs out of the woods and smash a shipping pallet into kindling with the maul. All in a day's work. Late afternoon, at my desk, having a glass of wine, I realize I over did it. Sore everywhere and a bit down in my back, however I'm loaded up with wood, and ready for the next polar blast arriving Tuesday night. Above freezing today, the last time for a week. When it did get above freezing, the snow in the woods became quite slick and I had to curtail hauling lest I slip and fall. I split a bunch of poplar, which burns hot and fast (with very little ash), because I'll need to get fires going quickly when I get home from work this week. The house is a mess what with the leaves and sawdust falling off frozen wood, and it brings the temperature down, bringing a large quantity of cold sticks inside. And I let the fire go out completely, as I wanted to clean the smoke-chase before the next bout of cold. Teens tomorrow night, and I'll get home right at dark (the floor crew), then single digits, then zero for a couple of nights. Back into survival mode, though if the ruts melted in the driveway today, I'll probably be able to drive in when it refreezes. I need a great many things, including drinking water and juice, whiskey and cream, coffee and eggs, ingredients for a major soup, buttermilk (to make cornbread) and a pound of bacon. B will be able to drive in before I'll want to attempt it, I can always go over to the college and put a few things in his truck. I need to go to the library. I have to pay my land taxes, $160 for six months, and at the same time file for my status as a tree farm. It was the registrar at the county offices, when I first bought the land, that told me I qualified as a tree farm, and I could get a great tax break. All I have to do is get up and leave in the morning, I can clean up and shave at the museum. Hot running water. I think the museum should probably buy me lunch tomorrow, since I'm not supposed to be there, and I'll probably have a beer. I'm pretty well prepared.

No comments: