Sunday, January 26, 2014

Extreme Weather

Pegi called this morning and said there was a Class Two snow emergency out in the county, which means stay off the roads. She told me to sit tight, and not attempt to get home before tomorrow afternoon. Four inches of new snow by morning and it's still snowing hard, this on top of all the rest of the snow and the compressed snow on the cross streets. I walked. over to Kroger, to get some supplies, D had left me an old Navy Pea-Coat, warm enough that after I'd brought some things back to the museum, and since I was completely suited-up, I walked down below the flood wall. Larger chunks of ice, floating in the current, and if something slows them, on their way downstream, bridge abutments or a fouled tow of barges, the river could freeze early next week. Monday night is calling for 12 below, a high of seven on Tuesday, then back to 10 below that night. I venture out once more, to get a slice of feta pizza., from that Italian place down the street. Town is deserted, everyone gone home. Stopped snowing for a couple of hours, mid-day, then back with a vengeance in the afternoon, and when I go outside for a smoke, the blowing snow is so thick I can't see cars on the other side of the street. It's supposed to get just above freezing for a couple of hours tomorrow, before the temps dive below zero, and that should make a nice mess of things. Two layers of ice with snow on top. I've only ever seen conditions like this a few times, in a long life of brutal conditions. Gives pause. After that last trip outside, I had to soak my feet in warm water, to bring back some life, wrapped a scarf around my nose and ears. Even sound has become a cold echo. It's fine, life is what it is, you wake up and do what needs to be done. Molly, oh Molly. We should talk about crab-cakes, or those wonderful clam-cakes you make, when you''re drunk, and pissing into the wind. I mean, really, I have to go.

No comments: