Thursday, January 5, 2017

Dead Modem

Blackout, then a power surge. This is the sixth modem in recent memory. I don't know what to do, so I settle in my nest and read for a couple of days. It was a holiday, as usual, and a long weekend before I could make any calls. I tried everything, but I know nothing about computers. The old modems (I had several) couldn't talk to Little Dell. The secondary problem was that my AOL toolbar was covered by a display error notice, so I couldn't write. Failure abides. Finally realized that I still should be able to access my writing program, within AOL, though I couldn't send anything, because I was not connected. And I was able to, after a few false starts. Several pages of notes, but I do love working in real time. Snow in the forecast and I hope to get out before then, try and arrange TR or Barnhart to get me a modem off E-Bay. No computer store sells them anymore. I need a few things at Kroger. I rely on canned, sliced, white potatoes for winter hash-browns. When I grew them, I always had a root-cellar, now, it's easier and cheaper to buy them in the can. I made a version of the cornbread dressing for the holiday, with the tail-end of pate on toast, listened to some Bach. My sister called, my older daughter called. I was talked out, so I unplugged the phone. I'm so disconnected it's appalling, I had a couple of oak galls I wanted to dissect. You have no idea how many small wasps infect the universe. Supposed to have a warmer break in the weather, so I can make up for the trip to town I missed following the death of my modem. I knew it was going to be a pain in the ass. Like most mammals, I seek to curl-up in a corner when things don't go to suit me. Rain, too warm to snow, and it's a lovely sound in the dark. Buck deer season opened, the main season, and the woods will be alive with hunters, so I wear blaze orange even on my short walks, and make a lot of noise.

No comments: