Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Hard Snow

The girls are intrepid, they took off, mid-morning, to brunch with friends on the creek, said they'd probably go to town, though I can't imagine what they'd buy, and told me not to worry about dinner. Hard snow coming straight down, and I hope it doesn't impede their getting to Columbus tomorrow, and an early flight back to Colorado Tuesday morning. But they spend the evening cleaning cobwebs and throwing away more things. Samara cleaned the composting toilet. We ate a large number of Big Red sausages because they don't have them in Denver. Mac and cheese, avocado toast. Above the music they play to clean by, we catch up on our lives. Rhea became obsessed with cobwebs and dead bugs. Until they left, they were cleaning surfaces. Samara had some strong opinions about things I should now do in my life, and for the most part, they feathered with my own ideas. Hiring out the heavy lifting, a little more attention to personal hygiene, maybe a free class at the library on computer literacy, maybe a laptop with battery. Rhea remembered to get back-up batteries for my headlamp. They're thoughtful of my ways and means (we spent six or eight summers together here, so they know my lifestyle) but I'm surprised they know me so well that they can restock my larder, replace what needs replacing. They hit Big Lots pretty hard, replacing my wash cloths and towels, cleaning supplies I didn't know I needed, socks, an electric lap robe; I don't even know what else, various foodstuffs, a large bag of vinegar and salt potato chips (we destroyed a bag during a sausage rampage) so they bought a bag of them, and several other things, good snacks, they called them. They arranged delivery of a free refrigerator from down the creek. They rearranged shelves to better utilize space. They bought a small electric heater for their bedroom. They bought a new broom, a new dust pan, a brush for cleaning the top of the ceiling fan blades, enough disinfectant wipes to last a life time, a new/used wool sweater (at Goodwill) to replace the one I've worn for several winters, and a new bathrobe, so I'd have one for guests. Much affection, many hugs, and we all have lives to get on with. Samara starts a new play, Rhea has her job, and I have to go pick up some books at the post office. I forget where I was, whenever I'm disrupted, I forget what I was thinking about. Rhea smuggled in a hash-oil unit, with an igniter, and we get higher than coots. We got very funny and silly, and it was great, all shields down, talking about sex and love, rock and roll.

No comments: