Thursday, January 5, 2017

Load Failed

My sister called and my brother was there. I hadn't talked with him for several years, but we were right back in the thick of it. He wants me to come out west and frame a cabin for him. It would be fun, to be with Kevin and his son, Jackson, to see a legal pot growing business. And I could visit a few people. On the other hand, I don't want to leave the ridge for the several weeks necessary to drive out, frame a cabin, and drive back. The Vineyard cabin was 16x20 with a sleeping loft and two of us were comfortable there for three years. It had some nice beam work. Back then, when I applied my attention, I could do some nice beam work. With two good helpers, I could still frame and roof a cabin in a week, a skill I've learned. Bear was looking at a joint, where four beams meet, a complex junction, in this house recently. I had to think for a few minutes, to remember how I'd done it. To see it in my mind's eye. Three full-shouldered tendon joints coming together on a two-stage natural post. This would be a question on the final exam for Framing 687 Unusual Attachments, a course I might well have taught. When I was working on Peter Jefferson's (Tom's Dad) house in Virginia, I was forever trying to integrate old wrought iron into the framework. The building inspector had signed off on me, he'd stop by if he was in the area, to see what I was doing, and walk off, shaking his head. The wind kicks up, pulls me out of the middle-distance, a few dancing leaves as the ground resettles. Now the wind sounds like a freight train. I'd better go.

No comments: