Thursday, January 5, 2017

Memory Loss

The power went out twice yesterday, no warning, and I lost everything I'd written. The good news was that Barnhart called, thinks he can find me a modem, then bring it out, along with his young son who is very tech savvy. Barnhart reads me to his mom over the phone, and she gets worried when I don't post. He's helped out before. I can't believe I read all 20 of the Aubrey/ Maturin novels so quickly, but I do love sitting in the cold quiet and reading for hours at a time. A life-long habit. After a blow like this last one I like to give it a couple of days, so they can clear debris, before I venture out. The weather forecast indicates I should be able to get both out and in Monday or Tuesday. Thinking about a killer bean soup and cornbread for Christmas. I'd been reading soup recipes for hours. The best soup I ever had was at a bar in Provincetown, a chick-pea, chorizo, kale concoction. I still make it, or variations of it, quite often, for Christmas I'll make it with chorizo and cracklings, positively festive. I think about making a Key Lime pie. I do love a slice of Key Lime pie for breakfast. Any pie for breakfast is a good thing. A slice of warm apple pie, with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream, I read recently, actually better prepares you for the day.

No comments: