Monday, August 4, 2008

Derisive Croak

Solitary crow over the outhouse seems to take offense at my using the facilities or maybe he's waiting for his friends, ready to get on with the day. I have a book overflow problem, or a flat surface problem, or a laziness problem, but before I put a book away, I have to take out (usually) numerous bookmarks and that means rereading passages (marked with a pencil dot), which usually means making some notes. The real problem is that I enjoy the process and take my time, thus about one day a month, if someone was watching, I do nothing but wander slowly about the house, open books everywhere, sometimes as often as once an hour putting a book back on a shelf. Since I cleaned out the fridge I've been trying to watch the compost pile, the wild dogs have been staying away, since I shot a couple of the pack, and I'm hoping to see the fox. Late afternoon she shows up, she must be done nursing, I know it's her by the set of her ears, maybe I'll see the kits, make a note to get some apples. Still hot when I start writing today but the large yogurt container of ice and a strategically placed fan work very well to keep things cool. I'm a terrible draftsman but during the course of the day I make several sketches for the Wrack Show, doodles really, trying to figure out the post count. D's a no-show, so I have ribs for dinner again, potatoes, a salad, bread, manage to save three meaty ribs for the Deputy tomorrow, a kind of token sample, I know her sister will tell her I cooked slabs for us and need to diffuse the situation, walking that delicate line between a boss and a pregnant lady. Angled light, sun below the trees, thick rich greens, and that huge Pileated Woodpecker flies in from the west, checking out his favorite hickory tree. The splash of red is a shock and I do love watching him work, cocking his head, listening for movement beneath the bark, hopping down the tree, circling around. Talked to my older daughter, Samara, this weekend, and she needs money I don't have, talked to my parents, yesterday, and they are dying (with great good grace), need to get to Colorado, see Samara in a play, get to Florida, see my folks, but can't afford either of those trips, could try and get to upstate New York for a long weekend away, maybe I need that, before the next push. On the other hand, today was a perfect tonic, put away some books and pour a bucket of water over my head, what did Pynchon say -Simple Pleasures- gas prices being what they are. Imagine what it costs to launch a rocket. How can the deficit not include the cost of the war? What kind of accounting is that? Like saying if I don't include my VISA I can balance my checkbook, how stupid are we supposed to be? W and that asshole Cheney have put a lien onto the next generation plus the generation after that is unpayable. Oops, got started, I really try to avoid politics, but these guys have got their heads up each other's ass, I'm stock-piling beans, laying in seed, figure, before I die, we'll be third world. What are the odds they'll invade Iran and declare Martial Law? Put off the election or Obama will get shot or global warming raises sea level or something. I don't want to be paranoid, but there's every indication I should be. And I'm a simple guy, that's the problem. I could live on weeds and roadkill, my needs are basic and easily met, but the system is more complex, take away rapid transit and a lot of people are isolated, blow up some bridges and a lot of people are desperate, blow up a few power plants and everything falls apart. If I were a terrorist, what I'd do, living near the Ohio River, is blow up some bridges and power plants, bingo, chaos, the perfect tool.

No comments: