Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Hendiadys

Note from Nelson that it is spelled with an 's' in singular form, don't know what the plural is, probably the same. Got the quarterly mag "New Janitorial Practices" today and it's always a treat. The centerfold is a lovely buxom Georgian, stripped down to her skivies, sweeping a huge empty railroad station, both existential and sexy at the same time. The articles look interesting: "2008 Survey Of Mops: Size Does Matter", "Current Trends In Custodial Research", "A Guide To Preventive Urinal Treatments", and "Two Cat Problem" (and interesting piece about keeping mousers , which essentially advises that if there is conflict between two you just shoot one of them). More on the mag later, when I've had a chance to read the columns. This from B:

Hendiadys

Against the strain and solitude of exile
the hound and lash of service
she became the whore and saint to his design
the cunt and comfort of home

First Fay rain, and the first leaves are falling, adumbration of fall, and an admonition to get to work on firewood. Not too concerned as there is a monster standing dead oak behind the printshop and a smaller dead oak on the driveway, the trees I've girdled will be dry by the end of winter and Booby told me I could have anything from his sawmill boneyard. D expressed his concern about the next couple of weeks, so I started a list, asked enough questions to establish priorities and the Brit, directing the play in our theater, showed up, ready to paint, which was on my list, so I think we're ok; rack 100 chairs, 20 four foot square tables, 8 six foot tables, 2 eight foot tables, sweep the floor of the main gallery and mop everything because something was spilled and it was tracked everywhere. There is squashed cake in the grout joints, I can't do much about it, scrape the larger accumulations with my pen-knife and curse that habit people seem to have with "public" spaces, the janitor will deal with it, and they grind it in with a foot while talking about Aunt Martha's recent operation. I miss the Deputy today, she was home with sick kids, and I needed to vent with her, about how stupid people were. I'm stupid too, don't get me wrong, but I needed to vent. We're all stupid, look at the current administration, and we elected them twice, we're a trillion dollars into an unwinnable war. Who's going to pay for that? George and Dick go into a bar, they get all the vets to give up everything by waving the flag, promise a new tomorrow, there are only eight people in the world who turn a profit, but the profit is large, they can build a golf course that costs 6.9 billion dollars AND Tiger Woods will design it, it's the ultimate perk, you'd be one of the very few who could afford the fee. I'm ok, I have high ground and rocks I could roll against intruders, molten lead I could pour on the heads of anyone I didn't like, but what about my daughters? My biggest fear right now, I've known so many bigots, is that in the voting booth, they'll vote for the white guy. I'm ashamed to be white.

No comments: