Friday, August 1, 2008

Here Now

Soon as I get the set built for The Secret Garden got to get started, full-bore, on the Wrack Show, need five or six more posts and a few rails. NEED STUMPS, to use as pedestals, need to find some rope. Nice day to be inside with AC, very hot and muggy, I paint the Director's office, D has one of the worst days of his life, computer troubles, his new big Mac crashes or whatever, locks up repeatedly, end of the day he's afraid he's lost everything. Finally though, he retrieves all data, using another computer, going in tomorrow to wipe his mainframe clean and reinstall the operating program. Stop to watch the spillway spill. I'm interested in the number of cubic feet per second for a given flow, I can measure depth. I pick up a bunch of twigs and drop them at the lake side edge of the spillway top, dropping is too disruptive, I have to lay on my belly and place them, then count, as they go over the top and fall. Four inches of water today, two linear feet of water four inches deep over every second, spillway is 42 feet, 28.12 cubic feet. Water is 1.00 Specific Gravity, 62.4 pounds, 1754.69 lbs per second. We had a flume on irrigation water in Colorado, accurate within 5%, homemade, can't remember the name of the dude who invented it, everyone had one, and they were all called, like, Harvey Flumes, you set the rate of flow by inserting dagger boards. Very cool. Most everything about making hay and irrigating fields is extremely local, a particular tool kit, around Montrose, we made diversion damns with tarps on sticks, and dirt, fast and cheap. Drying hay didn't need to be turned, bale it on the third day, after dew had dried, all alfalfa, cut early, low yield but high protein. Three cuttings, the first watered by snow and surface moisture, the second, easily, on irrigation, the third was the devil's foal, might be great or might be awful. In Missip, I never made grass hay because it had no food value at all, made hay from sweet potato tops and peanut plants, kudzu, all of which rival alfalfa for protein (huge numbers, 18-20%). Don't know how I got sidetracked, water, right, I'm sure my numbers are bogus, but I like the fact that I came up with some. Wore a different deodorant today and didn't smell like myself, strange, as if there was another person in the room, but it was me, noticed it mostly after I got home, slipping into a sleeveless tee and loose, thin Dockers, summer writing clothes, there was still a woody background and this musky thing, of course, dirty underwear. You only thought you smelled good, actually, everyone takes offense. I wash my panties in the sink, with dish-soap, a few pair of socks, this is how far we have advanced, that we can wash our underwear. D and Carma trusted their daughter with me, to go upstairs, Gwen, she's a sharp kid, Sara came out to talk to her directly, this kid is a talker, a motor-mouth, but it all makes a kind of sense. Language is key, listen to what she says.

No comments: