Thursday, August 7, 2008

Imagined Constraints

Outside the box. I think I solved this lighting problem D and I had pondered for several weeks, for the kid's show. We don't need stage lighting, we just need a couple of short tracks and a couple of the museum spots. One of those slap-yourself-up-against-the-side-of-the-head moments. Roger called me into the theater to discuss something else (the Tree From Which The Pregnant Mom Falls) and I saw what we needed in a flash. Last cigaret outside with D, I tell him, and he's like, wow, yes, of course, how could we have been so dumb? Perfectly obvious once you see. Anchored the Secret Garden gate and cleaned construction mess, everyone is thrilled, a working gate, my god. Pretty sure I can solve the Death Tree problem. The usual scenery for kids' plays at the museum has been painted cardboard on sticks, we're making a quantum leap here, I lean toward minimal scenery but it needs to be real. Driving home, I realize this will probably be the best, technically, produced play in this space. I can't not. Would be letting myself down if I didn't. You buy me, you buy the whole package, a smart-ass janitor with skills, it's hard to criticize someone who does something better than you. I learned at the feet of masters, I've known butchers who understood the universe, parsing the whole into component parts, lighting designers who could establish reality, loggers who could fell a tree exactly where they intended. Ted Enslin called me a Jack-Daw, a raven, a crow, an opportunistic bastard, and I had to agree with him, I am, there are ways in which I have no shame; if it plays into your game, there's no reason for you to criticize my pot-smoking heavy-drinking life style: if I get it done you need me. I'm revealing a lot here, but I'm talking among friends, you don't have to read me if you don't want to. The fox was back, she did a magnificent tail-swing after taking an apple that was such a 'fuck you' that I laughed out loud. If she were human I would have copped a feel, but it's a fox, man, after all, and we're not that close, phylum wise, I don't think it would work, a fox-human, then think, maybe, a certain barmaid with perfect ankles, a tattoo in the middle of her back, maybe. Foxy Lady.

No comments: